Friday, 27 May 2011


These are my cauliflower plants,i have not grown these for a few years because of damage,caused by butterfly's.However i put in a few seeds this year as well as some broccoli seeds.I showed the plants in an earlier post,the only thing is,i ...am going to plant the seeds two weeks later next year.You can buy sprays to spray the plants with to keep away the butterfly's,you spray on the under side of the leaves,that is where the butterfly's lay their eggs.I try and keep away from sprays,this year i made some cages to cover the plants with.I made them out of 2x2's and 2x1's,they are 8 feet long,3 feet wide and 18 inches deep.I then put quarter inch plastic mesh on the top and sides fastening it on with staples.You can plant two rows of plant under these and you can use them year after year.I also covered my broccoli with them.Cauliflower are not that easy to grow,i prepare my cauliflower patch in the fall.I put compost on it and work it in,then i let it sit all winter.In the Spring time i walk on it to compact the soil a bit,cauliflower grow better in compacted soil.In doing this the head on the cauliflower will grow nice and tight.When the head starts to grow bend the leaves over it to keep the sun off it,that will keep the head nice and white before you harvest it.Also,never let cauliflower get dry,water them often,they like plenty of water

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home